Last week, The Tyee's Andrew MacLeod created a flap when he reported "the invitation British Columbia Premier Gordon Campbell personally made to a Mi'kmaq children's choir to sing at the 2010 Winter Olympic Games opening ceremonies has been withdrawn." The premier has since told CKNW he only said it would be "great" if the choir could sing at the Olympics. So, today, Aboriginal Relations and Reconciliation Minister George Abbott was put in the awkward spot of explaining that misunderstanding.
Minister Abbott also said he's made a "couple phone calls to see if there were some opportunities that, perhaps, we could utilize to have the choir come out around February 26. There is a Newfoundland provincial day on February 26. There is an opportunity for the kids to perform at the aboriginal showcase at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre and also - the day before, the day after - at an aboriginal business showcase. So those, I think, are exciting opportunities. But we want to discuss them with the choir first and with the chief and see if those would work for them."
As for involving them in the Olympic's opening or closing ceremonies, Minister Abbott said there have been "some discussions" about that possibility.