In July, we reported British Columbia New Democrat provincial secretary Laura Nichols would be leaving her job in January. And now, three months later, the search is on to find a replacement. An advertisement for the post has been placed on the federal New Democrats' Website. The following is a complete copy of that advertisement.
Provincial Secretary - BC New Democratic Party
Tue 20 Oct 2009
The Provincial Secretary is the senior manager of the BC NDP, responsible for the organizational, communications, administrative, financial and political liaison functions of the Party.
Core Duties and Responsibilities
The Provincial Secretary leads and manages the following areas of activity:
* organizational development, including public outreach, membership expansion, issue campaigns, and relations with provincial and federal constituencies and affiliated organizations
* political management, including liaison with the Leader, MLAs, and MPs, all other levels and bodies of the Party, and internal and external stakeholders
* election preparations, both federal and provincial
* fundraising and financial management, including budget preparation and management and regulatory filings
* Conventions, Provincial Council, regional conferences, Executive and Table Officer meetings and other events
* overall management of the Provincial Office
* supervision of organizational, communications and administrative staff
Required Skills and Experience
The Provincial Secretary will have:
* extensive experience in the NDP; familiarity with the political landscape of BC and Canada would be an asset
* experience in working with senior elected bodies (in this position, key bodies would include the Provincial Executive, the Caucus and the Leader's Office)
* extensive skills and broad experience in public outreach, organizing, communications strategy, campaigning on issues and in elections
* experience and skills in large scale fundraising, budget management and overall organizational administration
* personal skills to facilitate successful relations with Constituency-level bodies and with volunteers at all levels of the Party
* experience and skills in managing staff and working with collective agreements
* strong personal communications skills, for both internal Party purposes and for external media
To be negotiated.
Commencement of Employment
The desired start date is early January but is negotiable.
Please forward applications, with references and resumes, marked as "Private and Confidential" to:
Sav Dhaliwal, President
Burnaby BC V5H 2G1
Or by e-mail to email@example.com, subject line "Provincial Secretary".
Deadline for applications is 5:00 pm November 13, 2009