In 2001, the provincial Liberals promised to "restore a professional, non-partisan public service founded strictly on merit." But six years later, questions remains as to whether all "staffing decisions are based on fair and equitable treatment of all applicants." To wit, last week, the education ministry announced it was looking for a new research analyst with some very specific qualifications.
According to the position description, which was posted on Wednesday, a successful applicant will have a "Bachelors degree in a related discipline and two years related experience (Julie does not have 2 yrs yet); or a Master's degree and one year of related experience; or an equivalent combination of related experience, education and/or training." Yes, you read that right. "Julie does not have 2 yrs yet." Whatever could that mean?
Asked for comment, education ministry media relations and issues management manager Lara Perzoff delivered the following written statement: "The posting in question was published on the B.C. Public Service's website containing an error. The error was noticed shortly after publication and the posting was immediately removed from the website. Ministry staff are following up on the matter. Every competition held in the B.C. Public Service is fair and open, and all hiring at the Ministry of Education is done based on merit. The Merit Commissioner ensures that all competitions in the B.C. Public Service are conducted in a fair and open manner."
Ministry of Education
Position Title: Research Analyst, Surveys and
Division: Information Department
Position Number: 34194
Unit (e.g. Region): Surveys and Data Exchange Unit
Supervisor's Title: Manager, Surveys and Data Exchange
Position Number: 33990
Supervisor's Classif: RO-N27
Phone Number: 356-0275
Bachelors degree in a related discipline and two years related experience(Julie does not have 2 yrs yet); or a Master's degree and one year of related experience; or an equivalent combination of related experience, education and/or training.
Two years experience in the following: (2 yrs)
* Data collection and use of databases and data management, including gathering, synthesizing, evaluating, reporting and interpreting data and information from diverse sources
* A public or private sector data, quantitative analysis and information reporting role or other area related to Survey
* Leading or supporting a diversity of projects, following accepted project management techniques
* Contributing to the development of policy, procedures, and corporate data or information management practices
* Knowledge of, and expertise in, the use of current data and reporting tools and software (i.e. MS Project, MS Visio, SPSS, SQL, Hyperion, Access, Oracle, etc.) in order to understand the technical feasibility of data linking projects and to provide support to ministry staff and school personnel who require assistance
* Knowledge of project management methodology and techniques
* Knowledge of data warehousing
* Knowledge of Intranet and Internet tools, systems and processes
* Knowledge of data administration and best practices with data quality and integration
* Analytical and problem solving skills and the ability to provide advice in the implementation of solutions to teams, internal staff, and external stakeholders
* Ability to provide leadership and supervision to team members and consultants
* Demonstrated competency in written and oral communications, including delivering presentations to management and external partners (e.g., school districts)
* Ability to work as a member of a larger research team in a matrix management structure