As some our astute readers may know, provincial New Democrat caucus researcher Maura Parte - who is married to Victoria-Hillside legislator Rob Fleming - is taking maternity leave. And who will be filling Ms. Parte's post, you may wonder? Well, for at least three months, British Columbia Government and Service Employees' Union health research and policy staff representative Anne-Marie Delorey will be warming that seat. Workers of the world unite, indeed! Meanwhile, in related news, the New Democrats have begun the process for selecting a new caucus communications director. Interested parties have just two weeks to get their resumes in - the bare minimum amount of time needed to conduct a proper job search. The following is a complete copy of that posting.
BC NDP CAUCUS STAFF
DATE: October 27, 2006
POSITION: DIRECTOR OF COMMUNICATIONS
LOCATION: Victoria, British Columbia
CLOSING: Applications will be accepted until November 10, 2006 at 5 p.m.
Applications must include a resume and two references with contact information.
* only those applicants short-listed will be contacted.
* email applications to: email@example.com indicating the position you are applying for in the subject line, or
* fax applications to (250) 387 - 4680, or
* mail applications to NDP Caucus, Room 201
Parliament Buildings, Victoria, BC V8V 1X4
Attn: Mary O'Donoghue
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES:
* Recruit, train, organize and lead the Communications staff;
* Provide leadership for the development of effective communications strategies highlighting caucus priorities as they unfold;
* Assist MLAs with their communication needs through effective deployment of communications resources;
* Work closely with the Press Secretary to the Leader and other members of the Caucus staff and Caucus to ensure the timely, accurate and relevant flow of information; and
Work, as required, with many other individuals and organizations that are associated with the BC NDP Caucus.
* Appropriate academic qualifications from a recognized journalism or communications program, or related experience;
* Ability to establish and maintain a confidential political relationship with British Columbia New Democrat members of the Legislative Assembly;
* Ability to think and plan strategically and to establish strategic approaches to the communication needs of Caucus;
* Ability to communicate effectively with colleagues, MLAs, the media, community contacts and the public;
* Experience working with the media;
* Experience organizing and managing staff in a political environment;
* Superior writing skills;
* Familiarity with a broad range of electronic communication tools;
* Knowledge of the values, history and polices of the New Democratic Party and public issues in BC; and
* Ability to work long hours and travel as needed.
REMUNERATION: commensurate with skills and experience. This position is excluded from the bargaining unit and includes benefits consistent with those of excluded BC government employees.